- 1 c Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), soaked in 3 c water overnight
- 4 c cold water
- 1 1/3 c millet
- 4 c water
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 c cabbage, chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne (decrease if you like it less spicy)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 bell peppers, diced (any color)
- 2-3 zucchini, chopped
- 1 ½ c okra, sliced (if out of season, substitute snow peas)
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- Ground pepper (optional)
Drain off the water that the chickpeas soaked in overnight. Place chickpeas in a pan with the 4 cups of cold water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 1-1 ½ hours until tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
In a separate pan, place millet and 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 25-30 minutes. Almost all the water should be absorbed and the millet will be tender.
While the millet is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the cabbage and cook over medium heat until softened. Stir in the spice and sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Add the vegetables and cook until tender. Finally stir in the cooked chickpeas.
Serve over the millet.