Be sure to use crisp brown rice cereal and not puffed rice cereal.
- 3/4 cup unsalted almond butter
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons agar agar flakes (available at a health foods store)
- 4 cups unsweetened (or lightly sweetened) crisp brown rice cereal
- 3/4 cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
- Line two muffin tins with about 18 muffin/cupcake wrappers, and set aside.
- Combine the almond butter, maple syrup, salt, and agar flakes in a large saucepan over low heat and stir constantly until smooth, hot, melted, and bubbling just a bit.
- Add the cereal and 1/2 cup of the pistachios and stir until well coated.
- Spoon two heaping tablespoons of the mixture into each muffin wrapper and press into place with the back of a spoon. Alternately, if you want krispy squares, you can transfer it to an 8 by 8-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining pistachios and refrigerate until completely cool (this also helps the agar set).
- Makes about 1 1/2 dozen treats
Adapted from Peanut Butter Krispy Treats from 101 cookbooks